Monday, April 16, 2012

My Macros: Crafting, Kill Command and Bestial Wrath, Castsequence

  Macros are one of those things in WoW that can really increase the effectiveness of your gameplay, and it seems that to many players see them as merely optional. That's too bad, because there are some that I don't think I could play well without. I use macroexplain.com to troubleshoot sometimes, and to get new ideas from their links.

 The most basic macro, however, is:

/macro
You'd think making a macro would be easily accessible, but typing /macro every single time you want to make an adjustment gets reeeaaalllly annoying. So, I made a macro labeled Macro that just says /macro, with the screaming bunny button face. Yo dawg.

  Crafting


/use milling
/use whiptail
/use cinderbloom
/use stormvine
/use
Putting as many /use as you can fit into this macro can make milling a breeze. I set it to my mouse wheel down and watch TV while milling. Of course, sometimes I catch myself trying to mill in a BG. My bad, guys.

/cast disenchant
/use Carnelian Spikes
/use item:55035
/use item:52306
/use item:52307
/use item:52308
/use item:52309
/use item:55037
/use item:55038

I use this for disenchanting rings, etc. in the ore shuffle. Same concept as the milling macro.

/use Prospecting
/use Elementium Ore
/use Obsidium Ore
/use Pyrite Ore

Same as before, just for prospecting.

  Kill Command and Bestial Wrath


All together, my Kill Command macro is a decent example of a typical, full-size attack macro of mine:
#showtooltip kill command
/use kill command
/startattack
/petattack
/cancelaura hand of protection
/cancelaura deterrence
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear() 

Let me break it down here.

#showtooltip
Add #showtooltip to any macro to get the ability to show up on your bars. For macros with more than one ability used with /castsequence, it will automatically show the ability the next button press will activate. For macros with more than one ability not in sequence, an ability should be specified.

/use kill command
Most people don't know, but /use covers everything /cast does, but /cast does not cover everything /use does. I just stick with /use for everything.

/startattack
Add /startattack to any ability to get your swing timer started. For Hunters, adding it to Steady or Cobra Shot is important, as the game will automatically start autoshot at the end of the cast otherwise. For melee, some abilities turn off your autoattack, so adding it to certain abilities will increase your white damage.
/petattack
Pet management is of particular importance to certain classes, so using /petattack in certain abilities but not in others helps tailor your pet's behavior. I add it to Kill Command, so that if my pet isn't in range, I can at least get it started in the right direction. I also add it to Serpent Sting, because if I think an enemy will last long enough for it to be useful, having my pet on the target will also be useful.

/cancelaura hand of protection
/cancelaura deterrence
Pallys like to troll sometimes, so having a /cancelaura on big hitting abilities lets you keep up the DPS. The deterrence portion applies only to Hunters, of course

/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
This just clears the pesky error messages that pop up when you spam abilities on cooldown.
 
Some abilities do not set off the global cooldown, so macroing these to other abilities is common. Since the only ability I want to use immediately after activating Bestial Wrath is Kill Command, I put the two together to create my Bestial Wrath macro. Remember, only one ability that triggers the global cooldown can be used like this.

Bestial Wrath and Kill Command together with my Synapse Springs :

#showtooltip bestial wrath
/use bestial wrath
/use 10 
/use kill command
/startattack
/petattack
/cancelaura hand of protection
/cancelaura deterrence
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()


  Castsequence 


The /castsequence command automates a series of commands to repeated in order. It can be dangerous, and should definitely not be used to automate a rotation. Lazy people do this and suffer for it. Do not do this. Instead, carefully use cast sequence to create specialized macros that automate a reliably repeated sequence. A few examples from my characters:


#showtooltip Scatter Shot
/stopattack
/petpassive
/petfollow
/castsequence [@mouseover,harm][harm] reset=3 Scatter Shot, Trap Launcher, !Freezing Trap
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

This is my basic Scatter-Trap macro. The part I want to highlight is:
/castsequence reset=3 Scatter Shot, Trap Launcher, !Freezing Trap
It has a short reset of 3 seconds, and the ! before the Freezing Trap allows me to spam the macro. Otherwise, it would toggle Freezing Trap on and off.

#showtooltip
/castsequence !Inner Fire, !Inner Will

This let's me toggle between the Priest "stances". Again, the ! prevents the ability from being turned off if it is already on.

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=60 Vampiric Blood, Rune Tap, Rune Tap
/use blood tap

This is a macro purely of my own creation, though I'm sure that tens of thousands of other players have independently developed a variation as well. It uses Rune Tap with every Blood Tap, so what I do is either Heart Strike or Blood Boil away both blood runes, then hit this macro to fully utilize the rune regen of the ability. The first and every odd use thereafter is boosted with Vampiric Blood.

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=15 Outbreak, Pestilence

This sets up my diseases in two easy clicks.


#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=20 Raise Dead, Death Pact

This treats the two abilities as a one button cooldown to gain some health back.

#showtooltip unleash elements
/castsequence reset=4 unleash elements, flame shock

Flame Shock is often only used on single targets when buffed by Unleashed Elements, so tying these together makes sense.

#showtooltip flame shock
/castsequence [@mouseover, harm] [@target, harm] reset=4 Flame Shock, Fire Nova

The other use for Flame Shock, however, is in AOE, so tying it to Fire Nova makes fanning the flames much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment